Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Calf Atrophy

Before my surgery I had the good sense to measure the width of my calf muscles... 40cm each! I have always had pretty solid legs, and dancing - especially ballet - has only seemed to make them bigger.

Within the first 2-3 days of my surgery it appeared that my legs were shrinking due to lack of movement, so I measured in again... 37cm! In THREE days! By the end of the first week my calf muscles were only 36cm each. I'm not complaining, because truthfully I've always longed for leaner looking legs!!! By the end of week two each calf muscle measured only 35cm, and now at week four they are 34.5cm.

Of all the forums I've read, I haven't stumbled across anyone that has noted any calf atrophy. Most people are too concerned with the pain, swelling or pins they have poking out of their feet. Now I'm left pondering if my muscles will grow back to their post surgery thickness, or if they are gone forever???

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I have just made the decision to go ahead with bunion surgery, and have found your blog very informative.
    As someone with tiny calves to begin with, I was wondering how you managed to build up your calf muscles again and how long it took?
    Cheers,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete