Friday, January 30, 2009

The Walking Wounded

As I sat outside on my balcony this morning diligently wiggling my big swollen toes back and forth I became aware of how stiff my toes were even though I wasn't in any pain. I have had a serious case of cabin fever for the past week, and the weather has great so I came to the conclusion that if the physiotherapist decided no more crutches, then I should be ready to try walking further than the distance of my bedroom to the bathroom... and it might even help stretch out my feet and toes to a larger degree.

Although my husband was dubius, he agreed to help me walk the dogs to the park at the end of our street. While he got the dogs organised I slipped on my ugly new crocs and then we set off on a mission to the park.

I couldn't keep up with the dogs or my husband, so they walked ahead and I hobbled the 300m up the street to the park.

When we got to the park the dogs were thankful and so was I. Perched on the park bench I relaxed and watched the dogs have a run. It felt fantastic to be out of the house. Ten minutes later I felt like I had recovered enough to make the journey home.

As soon as I walked in the door I got back into bed, elevated my feet and wrapped the ice packs around my feet. Although the park is so close to my house, it's the furthest I've walked in nearly three weeks! It's a big milestone in my recovery, and I now feel much more content but incredibly tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment